Friday 23 June 2017

You Are Paying Too Much To Whiten Your Teeth

I am someone who is constantly worrying about my teeth and my dental hygiene. Don’t get me wrong, I go to the dentist, I brush my teeth twice a day for 2 minutes, I even floss! However, I still get worried that I am not taking proper care of my teeth when it comes down to it. The biggest insecurity I face with my teeth is making sure they are not looking really stained or yellowed. Teeth are one of the first few things that I notice about someone when meeting them for the first time, so I imagine that this is similar for other people as well. I have always been a big coffee drinker, ever since starting college. In fact, there are a lot of different foods and beverages that I enjoy that have long been labeled as heavy teeth stainers. The problem is that I just really enjoy these types of things. There is truly nothing better than a cup of coffee freshly brewed in the morning; except for a fresh iced coffee in the afternoon! These are the simple joys of life in my opinion.

However much I love coffee and other foods and drinks that aren’t good for my teeth, I do not argue that they can take away the whiteness and the shine from my teeth overtime. This is something that is simply unacceptable to me, so I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to best whiten my teeth. I used to buy whitening strips that you can find at Walmart or Meijer or any pharmacy, but those are super uncomfortable and are so expensive.


It is really crazy how pricey some of those things can get. Instead, I switched to using toothpaste that is specifically made for whitening teeth as it does the usual cleaning and freshening. I have been using Crest 3D White toothpaste for some time now, and I feel like it does a pretty good job. In addition, I have tried different at home remedies to find marginal success for some. For a while, I tried using a lot of hydrogen peroxide to whiten my teeth. This method is pretty well backed by lots of research and is a known way to whiten teeth. Sometimes I would swish it around in my mouth and over my teeth like you would with mouthwash, and other times I would simply put some on my toothbrush and use it that way.



There is also some benefit to mixing hydrogen peroxide with baking soda. You can make it into a paste by using less hydrogen peroxide or a mouthwash by using more. Either way, it will be helpful in whitening teeth. In my opinion, the combination of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda is probably one of the most disgusting things you can put in your mouth, so after trying it once I now avoid it like the plague. What I use the most right now is a reusable teeth whitening kit that I got for Christmas last year. You wear it on your teeth like a mouthguard after applying some of the included whitening gel. Then you turn on the mouthpiece and it lights up your teeth with a blue light; this supposedly activates the whitening gel even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Title: Tooth Cupping: What is it and how can it be prevented?

You may have heard about tooth cupping, or you may have it and don’t know why or what it is. Tooth cupping is where parts of your tooth erod...