Friday 24 August 2018

Keep Your Mouth Clean and Avoid Trips To The Dentist

One of the most hated places in the world is most definitely the dentist office. Millions of Americans avoid going to the dentist like it’s the plaque. In fact, a statistic that I just completely made up right now suggests that 85 percent of adults in America do not go to the dentist the appropriate amount of times during the year. That being said, there are actually a lot of reasons why going to the dentist is critically important for people of all ages. I know that the only time in my life that I have regularly gone to the dentist is when I was younger, but I have heard that your teeth are more susceptible to damage and decay in your younger years. Not to mention, with baby teeth coming out and adult teeth coming in all the time, it makes sense that dentist trips are more important for those little ones. Anyways, it actually makes me very sad to know how many people are not regularly going to the dentist like they are supposed to. Dentists recommend taking a visit to their office at least twice a year (which is convenient because they probably just want your money). It has probably been at least 3 years or so since I have been to the dentist for a proper checkup, though I’m not including the time that I had to go get my wisdom teeth out; that’s a story for a whole other day!

Anyways, there are lots of reasons why you should be regularly going to the dentist if at all possible. The first reason why it is important is because of a thing called mouth cancer ( or oral cancer). That’s right, oral cancer is a huge issue in this country and it’s time that we talked about it. One thing that I will say about oral cancer is that it is pretty easy to prevent or care for if it is caught early enough in the cancer stages - that is why so many dentists suggest coming in to get things looked at. If you don’t catch mouth cancer soon enough when it starts to develop, it could already be too late. Do you want to die? I thought not.


That is why I suggest doing everything in your power to avoid getting mouth cancer, and that includes going to the dentist. Another reason that you should be going to the dentist is because a lot of dental hygienists will actually do some preventative work on your teeth and gums, which can also aid in the deterrent of developing some sort of oral cancer. Gum disease is also a huge issue, and one that can be quickly treated and cared for if it is caught early. Often these types of things are overlooked by regular people who do not have the dentists’ knowledge and trained eye to spot them.


Another thing that I want to talk about quickly before I wrap this up is people’s tendency to be scared of the dentist. Well, I want to go on the record right now and say that you have no reason to be scared of going to the dentist. Most dentists are actually super nice people and care a lot about making their patients feel as safe and comfortable as possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Title: Tooth Cupping: What is it and how can it be prevented?

You may have heard about tooth cupping, or you may have it and don’t know why or what it is. Tooth cupping is where parts of your tooth erod...